How to make a collection?
A collection is a group of chapters put together from the same book, different books, new chapters created, and a combination of any of those 3. This new grouping of chapters is called a “Collection” which can be for personal use or published for a price. Chapters taken from others must have the author's permission for further selling of chapters used. Work published by another user with your chapter(s) included will provide you with another selling angle. Only you will get royalties from your chapter(s), even in new collections created by other users.
- Collection created by user – These are chapters a user decides to group together for personal use, for sharing, and/or for profit.
- Automatically created collection – When purchasing individual chapters from the same book, collections are automatically created grouping these chapters together upon checkout.
(Note: Royalties will be calculated from the remaining amount after subtracting the cost of used materials that aren’t your original work. For example, you charge $5 for your published work but used a chapter from another author that costs $1. Royalties will be applied after subtracting the cost of materials used ($1) from your newly published work ($5). This means the royalties from the $1 chapter will go to the original author and the $4 left will be where your royalties get computed from.)
A. User Collection Creation
These are chapters a user decides to group together for personal use, for sharing, and/or for profit.
- Go to “MY LIBRARY” and select a book you want included in a collection.
- Click on the options menu below the book and select “MAKE A COLLECTION”.
(Note: If you do not see the option to “MAKE A COLLECTION” that means the author of the book does not allow for it.)
*** If you see the pop-up below, that means you haven't set a price for individual chapters. Follow steps below before proceeding to step 3.
a. Click "OK" and it will bring you to the Chapters tab of your book.
b. Select the checkboxes beside the chapters you want included and a settings icon will appear on the right side. Press the icon to continue.
c. "CHAPTER PRICE" pop-up will appear. Input your price, a synopsis, and hit "SAVE".
d. Go back to your book, and select "MAKE A COLLECTION" and proceed with step 3.
- Select the chapter you want included in this collection and click, “NEXT”.
- You can choose to add the selected chapters to a collection you’ve already created by choosing from the drop-down menu.
You can make an entirely new collection by entering a title under “ADD NEW COLLECTION”. Click “ADD” after you’ve inputted the field and then “OKAY”.
(Note: For your authored books, one more way you can make a collection is to open your published book. In the “FRONT OF BOOK”, scroll down to the “TABLE OF CONTENTS” and click on “ADD TO COLLECTION” beside the chapters you want included. Chapters from different books can be added to the same collection.)
B. Automatic Collection Creation
When purchasing individual chapters from the same book, collections are automatically created grouping these chapters together upon checkout. Chapters from different books will be in seprate collections. Automatically generated collections can’t be sold, nor can you add additional text to it. You can however form a new collection with its chapters that can be sold by following steps in User Collection Creation.
(Note: Collections created automatically can only be used for reading. To sell and modify, use its chapters following the steps from User Generated Collection for further collection creation)
Go to “CATALOG” and click on the book you want to take chapters from.
Scroll down to the Table of Contents and click on the drop-down arrow to show which chapters are available for purchase. (Note: Pay attention to the Book features listed to see what can and can’t be done with the book)
- Select “ADD TO CART” beside each chapter you want in the same collection.
- Click on “MY CART” to see the collection automatically made from the chosen chapters. Select “NEXT” and follow the prompts to purchase.
- Fill out contact information and click on “NEXT.”
- Select "PAYPAL CHECKOUT” and fill out your payment information to complete your purchase.
- You will find your new collection in your library under “COLLECTIONS”. The collection name will follow this format: “COLLECTIONS: BOOK TITLE”.